Sunday, January 24, 2016

Growing Up in a Small Town - A Trip to the Dime Store


Penny Candy, Halloween Costumes, the Toy Store - all of these are fond memories of growing up in a small town in the 1960's and 70's.  I can remember walking the half mile from my house to the Dime Store with my older siblings, and later with neighborhood friends or with my cousin.  I'm not sure how old I was when I went without the supervision of my older siblings, but I am quite sure it was much younger than I would let my own children walk around town today.

King's Variety in Kaukauna, WI - also known as the "Dime Store" was a focal point for shopping in our small town.  Children could go and shop independently and find all kinds of treasures for very little money.

One of my favorite spots was the penny candy display.  You could fill a small, brown paper bag with a great deal of candy for just ten cents.  Now, you can find "vintage candy" for sale on the internet, or kiosks or candy stores in the mall trying to replicate that penny candy feel.



I remember buying licorice, tootsie rolls, tootsie pops and the like.  Can you remember candy cigarettes?  The idea seems preposterous now, but back then children could buy candy cigarettes to emulate their parents smoking.





When I was really little, I seem to remember the toy department being located downstairs.  At some point, it moved up to the second story.  I remember walking upstairs to what seemed like an amazing toy land.  I'm sure if I were able to revisit it today, it would seem very simple compared to today's retail spaces.  In the 1960's in my small town, it may as well have been FAO Schwartz.

I remember checkers sets, paper dolls, models, board games, dolls, coloring books, crayons, Duncan Yo Yo's and more.

Who can forget Barrel of Monkeys?


And of course there were the toys that have long since been banned because of how dangerous they were.  Do you remember Clackers?  Banned in 1985, Clackers were large, acrylic balls on a long string that you would try to get to clack together by moving your hand up and down.  There were also the infamous "Jarts" or Lawn Darts - banned in 1988. What could possibly go wrong with a projectile  with a sharp point that you throw into the air?



I also remember buying my Halloween Costumes at King's Variety.  In the 1960s and 70s, costumes were made from some synthetic (flammable) material with masks (with too small eye holes) held on to your face by a rubber band.


I can remember wearing a Casper the Friendly Ghost costume at some point in my childhood.



Today's children are much more sophisticated and the toys and games that they can shop for are certainly beyond anything we ever imagined.  Still, I have very fond memories of going on my own and shopping with my own money.  Going to the Dime Store was definitely an important part of my childhood. 











No comments:

Post a Comment